101 airborne combat patch
101st Airborne Division
Screaming Eagles
Vietnam 1969 - 1972
May 25, 1968

The Screaming Eagles of the 101st Airborne Division continued their pursuit of the enemy in
Operation Carentan II, killing 72 enemy and capturing seven weapons in scattered action. The
largest action took place near Pha Tam Giang Bay five miles north of Hue.
10 April 1968

Operation CARENTAN II: Companies A, B, and D/2/501st Airborne, 2nd Brigade, 101st Airborne
Division encounter an estimated two battalions of the 812th NVA Regiment near the village of
Thon Phuoc Dien 12 miles southeast of Quang Tri. Casualties: U.S. 7 KIA and 35 WIA; enemy 66
KIA. (Weider History Group; Vietnam War: The Battle for Vietnam; 40 years today-A Vietnam
War Timeline)
Alpha & Delta Companies 2/501st were sent to verify the reported presence of two enemy
companies entrenched in strong defensive position in the village of Phuoc Dien. In short time,
both companies were pinned down and in heavy contact. It soon became obvious they would be
unable to take the village without suffering heavy casualties and they would need additional
General Barsanti, the Division Commander, ordered the companies to “stay with the enemy’ and
agreed to send them whatever they needed – which in this case was extra helicopters to bring in
reinforcements. LTC Tallman, the Battalion Commander, moved Bravo Company into the fray,
and by nightfall had succeeded in completely surrounding the village. American positions were
established no more than ten meters apart. LTC Tallman ordered 100% alert during the night as
well as continuous illumination by flare ships and artillery.
Between 2000 hours that night and 0730 hours the next morning, the trapped NVA made at least
12 separate attempts to break out of the village. The next morning, 36 NVA Soldiers were found
dead within hand-grenade distance of the American positions. Two dazed NVA were captured and
taken prisoner. At 0800, companies Bravo and Delta assaulted the village in a coordinated attack
that met only moderate resistance. When the smoke and dust had cleared, the 2/501st had killed
70 NVA and captured 13.